Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

What helped me take the step....

I want to change my diet
But I am too overwhelmed!

One of the things I am loving about this new lifestyle has been sharing it with my friends, they have been so supportive and encouraging...thank you!!! Its also encouraging to see how many others out there want to do it too. So I thought I would share what got me moving down this path. One that I had been thinking in the back of my mind for years, but just seemed impossible for this lazy cook and busy mom!

A comment I have been hearing a lot lately is,
"I want to change my diet but I am too overwhelmed, there is too much that needs changing and I wouldn't know where to start!"

I wish I could wave my magic wand to make it easy for you! Like anything taking the first step is the hardest, no matter how big or small.
For me it has a lot to do with "thinking" about everything that needs changing at once and that once you start you are committing. Both these thoughts are enough to scare anyone and make them feel to overwhelmed from taking that first step!

Really it was the thinking that was holding me back. So wanting to do it and having that thought, I think really is the first step. So Yay! You've already started =)

What we did next, was pick one small "active" thing and stick to it for a few weeks. I had to not allow myself to get discouraged if I messed up one day and to believe that I wasn't a failure. If I did mess up it was a great reason to try harder and to focus on doing better the next day...I had to make an effort to not beat myself up about it.
I started with the decision of not eating fast food (the boys and I used to eat it at least twice a week, if not more! because it was cheap and easy when out and about)
After a few weeks of this I was excited to be rid of fast food and would pack peanut butter sandwiches for the car instead, I had, I guess a new habit, if you want to call it that. It felt great! and seriously thought that would be impossible since we had come to rely on the 3 local Mc's so much for lunch.

The more I made the right choices the more consistently I wanted to do it!

After a few weeks of this, I decided to go through my pantry and read all the labels on products we normally eat...this was scary! For starters, there were so many ingredients that I didn't even know what they were, but yet I was happy eating and giving it to my family? This was probably the most motivating thing I did, to take the next step!

I jumped online with the list of words I was not familiar with, also the colors and preservatives and started reading about them. Holly cow, what the hell were we eating! Petrolium, rat poison, chemical resin...scary!!! This was huge motivator for me and I have not changed my real foods mindset since.

We have a pantry half full of things we will not eat, time to donate to the local food banks and time to rethink my shopping list for my next grocery shop.


If anyone would of asked me 2mths ago if I would be eating this way, I would of laughed at them and said no way, I am not a health nut! I loved my easy, quick, prepared foods way too much, I am a lazy eater and an even lazier cook, I would always opt for what was ready at hand and could eat on the run.
But now that I have started eating this way I feel the healthiest I have felt in a longtime, I have more energy, I sleep better at night, I just feel so different, its great!!! It feels amazing doing something so good for myself and for my family!


You and your families deserve only the best!!!!

No comments: